The main modern scientific and practical directions:
- Development and improvement of spinal orthoses of modular design based on express manufacturing method for patients with diseases and injuries of cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine after rational consideration of the level, nature and degree of spinal injury; age, constitution; the physical condition of the patient; the presence and extent of concomitant pathology; social and domestic factors;
- Development of approaches, structures and technologies for the manufacture of restorative express orthosis for the treatment of patients with contracts of the holennostic, knee and elbow joints, as well as the joints of the fingers of the hand;
- Development of a system and algorithm for quantitative evaluation of the quality of orthosis of patients with spinal pathology and joint contracts, which allows for a comprehensive rational compromise between clinical necessity, biomechanical expediency of orthosis action on the spine or joint and physiological possibility of the patient;
- Development of structures and technologies for the manufacture of pelvis orthoses; orthopedic racks and means of transport immobilization;
- Wide use of methods of mathematical modeling of interaction of biological and technical factors in the development of orthopedic equipment;
- Development and improvement (on the basis of modern modules of permanent prostheses and materials) of structures and technologies for making express prostheses for patients after amputations at the level of foot, shin and hip, with access to postoperative wound and possibility to regulate length and construction scheme;
- On the basis of achievements of materials science, analysis of design and technological, clinical experience and mathematical simulation of interaction of living with non-living creation of structures and technologies for manufacture of individual implants of vertebrae and intervertebral disks of different sizes of new generation.
The use of modern high technologies has led to a new content, partners and organizational forms of medical and technical research behind the problem of implantation biomaterials. In addition to clinicians, morphologists, biomechanical specialists, physiologists of the Institute, the laboratory cooperates with the leading specialized research institutions – PJSC “Ukrainian Research Institute of Refractories named after A. S. Berezhny”, NTC “Institute of Monocrystals of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine”, NTU “Kharkov Polytechnic Institute,” Physicotechnical Institute of Low Temperatures named after B. I. Verkina NAS of Ukraine, Ukrainian Physical-Technical Institute of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, JSC «Motor Sich». All this allowed the laboratory together with other divisions of the Institute to take part in the execution of complex scientific research in the creation of the head of hip endoprosthesis from single-crystal corundum – sapphire. The work is supported by a grant from the European Union.
The Laboratory of Orthosis and Biomaterials is a permanent base for the Departments of Orthopedic Direction of the Kharkov Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education. Under the cooperation agreements, students of materials science departments of the “Kharkov Polytechnic Institute,” the National Pharmaceutical University, the Kharkov National University of Radio Electronics get acquainted in the laboratory with its directions of work and achievements.
Employees of the laboratory take an active part in professional meetings of urban, state and international importance, as well as in popularization of achievements of the institute named after prof. Sytenko at exhibitions, international medical forums and congresses. For exhibition activities together with thematic scientific and practical seminars organized by the Institute, the laboratory systematically received diplomas for the victory in the nomination “Best Scientific and Practical West.” In 2013, A. A. Dynnik prepared a monograph “Essays of the History of Clinical Prosthezuvaannya in Ukraine.”
Employees of the laboratory published 230 works, 3 monographs, 35 information letters, innovation, prospectus and booklets, exhibition stands, 64 author ‘s certificates and patents.